Businesses nowadays are focusing more on the warehouse management system, as it bridges the gap between manufacturers and consumers by providing the required things at the right place, at the right time in a cost effective manner. In order to have the perfect warehouse management system, it is crucial to have an understanding about logistics. Let us have a look at Logistics from 1PL towards 10PL and understand their workflow.
- 1PL(1st Party Logistics): The first party logistics is a firm or an individual, having their cargo, freight and can move goods and stock from one location to another location. They are consignors of various goods and commodities and arrange the transport of products to their assigned locations. It majorly consists of two parties that will benefit from the arrangement. The manufacturer or the distributor and the consumer. There are no brokers or arbitrators involved in the entire process.
- 2PL(2nd Party Logistics): The constructor hires a transporter or a manager for a warehouse as a subcontractor for the operational implementation of a logistic assignment. The manufacturer handles follow-ups and the organisation. The relation is mostly short term and cost-based, while the logistic performer does what is instructed by the client and paid accordingly. In 2PL, the client retains enough expertise to measure, evaluate and, if necessary, correct the logistic performances of the service provider.
- 3PL(3rd Party Logistics): The manufacturer deploys a package of transport and logistic ventures. The 3rd party logistic service provider arranges these projects and may hire 3rd party for particular executions. This group often comes in contact with the supplier as well as the manufacturer. As a third party, he arranges the logistics between manufacturer and supplier in the supply chain. The client mostly gets into a long term partnership with the provider of logistics in a collaborative environment. The client retains sufficient expertise to evaluate, measure and correct the logistic production of the service provider. Organisations are frequently contracted with many 3rd party logistics for maintaining neutral management and for providing feedback regarding various 3PL logistics services.
- 4PL(4th Party Logistics): 4PL logistics is a new concept which has come to the market recently, it involves employing a supervisor to manage the entire supply chain of the company. These logistics are usually called Lead Logistics providers and act as consulting companies for multiple supply chains. They act as principal administrator and look after all the aspects of supply chain companies. 4PL is becoming the next big thing in the logistics sector as they increase efficiency, provide single invoice solution and streamlines logistic work like no other. Due to its increased efficiency 4PL is in the process of emerging as an important device in the logistics sector. They issue a unique invoice solution and ensure smooth-running logistics.
- 5PL (Fifth Party Logistic Model): 5PL applies when there is a switch made from supply chains to supply networks. A fifth party logistic service provider guarantees the management of networks of supply chains. The organisation hires third parties for strategic solutions and concepts. A fifth party logistic service provider develops and implements the best possible supply chains or networks.
- 6PL (Sixth-party logistics ): They are anticipated to provide environment-friendly supply chain management. The main performance indicators in this job will emphasize the utilization of sources and the continuity of activities. Also, they might consider impartiality in supply chain management. It is expected that providers will have to fulfil high levels of social and environmental accountability.
- 7PL (Seventh-party logistics): Seventh-party logistics (7PL) is a combination of 4PL and 3PL services which includes the entire service fulfilment, transport services and warehousing everything in one. 7 PL has planned management expertise of a 4PL provider and an added advantage of controlling and owning specific physical assets like a warehouse which would be a quintessential 3PL provider.
- 8PL and beyond: After 7PL, the design of supply chain management reflects the preferences and particular business representation of the client. An esteemed committee would be expected in an 8PL position. Then the committee will analyse industry operations to suggest interruptions that will bridge the gaps. The committee would then examine industry operations to suggest interventions that will fill the gaps. 9PL level is about recognising crowd-sourced solutions that meet last-mile delivery demand. The remnants extending from 8PL logistics to 10 PL are eventually turning out more, with 10 PL logistics estimated as the model where the supply chain is completely aware and passes itself through AI.
This present-day series of party logistic providers stick to the standard use of AI. Acknowledging Artificial Intelligence is nowhere near being standardisation, there isn’t enough awareness about the performance of these AI-supported party logistic models. Having a proper logistic management system can all lead to organisational success and increase sales without the waiting process.