eBay is a preferred low cost and low risk marketplace of choice for Indian e-commerce sellers, selling cross-border. Whether you’re a seasoned, newbie or a PowerSeller, eBay is a marketplace that can help you reach global audiences.
eBay serves 194 countries worldwide and it is also one of the largest global online marketplaces, featuring approximately 1.3 billion product listings on any given day. It traditionally followed the auction model, but today, it is shedding that image to become a full-fledged ecommerce site.
Who sells on ebay?
What Categories sell best on ebay?
While you can sell almost any product category on eBay, some categories have historically experienced more success than the rest. Moreover, some eBay sellers focus on a niche product, others follow the trends to sell what is popular at the moment by doing research. That being said, our study suggests that the below categories do well on eBay:
- Mobile Phones and Accessories
- Health and Beauty
- Home and Garden
- Computers and Tablets
How Indian sellers can sell internationally through eBay
To sell on eBay international you need to fulfil the following requirements:
- You should have an eBay account in a good standing
- You should have earned at least 10 feedback points as a seller
- You have made your first successful sale more than 90 days ago
- If you fulfil the above requirements then you are allowed to sell on eBay international. The following steps will explain the step by step process of selling your products on eBay international.
Registering your Business on ebay:
When your selling account reaches the global trading limit you will be blocked from selling and you will get a message to complete your KYC (Know Your Customer) Process.
To complete your KYC verification you have to provide documentation based on your business type. Below is the list of documents requirements as per eBay’s official website for different business types.
Listing of the Products that you want to Sell internationally on ebay
Now that you have the documents ready, the next step will be to list your products on eBay, for that you need to follow the below steps.
- Create a PayPal account (If you don’t already have one).
- After you have created your PayPal account, you need to link it to your bank account.
- You can then log in using your eBay India account.
- After the above step, you need to inform eBay India regarding your new account, and then eBay will enable your account. Note: If you fail to notify eBay regarding your account, then it won’t get activated.
- Link eBay with Paypal. After this step, your listings will be enabled.
- Now, you can start listing and selling your products on eBay.com. However, there is an initial limit of 10 products. To remove this restriction, you will need to send some verification documents to eBay. Documents required are:
- Address proof
- ID proof
- Purchase bill (This is required in order to prove that you own your products).
- After you have done this and it reflects in eBay’s system, your listing limit will increase to 150 items. If you want to sell more items, you will have to get in touch with eBay India to increase the listing limit.
eBay may limit the amount of items you can sell or list in a particular category if:
- it’s been less than 90 days since your first successful sale;
- you haven’t sold multiple items in this category before;
- you haven’t sold in this category in over a year;
- you have more than 3% open cases of eBay Money Back Guarantee and PayPal Purchase Protection.
Note: All sellers selling on eBay need to meet minimum performance standards, regardless of whether they have a personal or business account
- Title: It is crucial to write your product titles in such a way that it gives out answers to any type of question a prospective customer might have. Some of the key considerations for choosing an effective title are:
- Keep your titles length in check: In order to acquire better sales, keeping a check on the length of the product title is essential, it is advised to maintain a character limit within 80-100 for better visibility.
- Avoid over-selling or under-selling: Providing unnecessary specifications about a product may lead to over-selling and giving inadequate specifications may lead to under-selling thereby losing out prospective buyers. Product titles should be captivating and well-targeted for immediate call-to-action.
- Use the right set of keywords: It is advised to write your title such that it ranks high for relevant keywords or search terms. Remember, your product title is an essential aspect of your product.
- Description: You have to write a detailed description that adds value to your product. Make sure to mention the major benefit of the product in the description and do not add any misleading information. Below are few tips for writing an effective description:
- Know who your target audience is and write features that would be of interest to your potential customers.
- Give all the relevant details about your product, and convince the buyer of it’s benefits.
- Write about the best features and unique specifications of your product.
- Images: The quality of the images is perhaps the most important factor that can influence the purchase. Images of poor quality distract buyers from wanting to further research the product. Below are some of the guidelines that you should consider when uploading your product image:
- First and foremost, you must have full rights to any image you include in your catalog entry such that you can give eBay full permission to use it.
- The minimum and maximum image dimensions are 500×500 pixels is for height and 9000×9000 pixels is for width.
- Images must represent the specific product being described.
- The image should be taken against a solid background without a border.
- Features: You have to ensure that all the features of the product are covered in the catalog. If you miss out on some features, you stand a chance of losing a sale.
- Additional information: Any additional information regarding your product like how to handle the product, product care instructions, etc. can be added.
Pricing Models on ebay
Initially, eBay followed a traditional peer-to-peer marketplace built on action, but now eBay has introduced different alternatives to the auction with its”buy it now” option. Selecting the best selling method depends on the type of your business.
- Fixed Pricing Model
It is also known as the “Buy It Now” method of selling. Fixed Pricing Model enables the seller to announce a fixed price for a product. The advantage of this method is that shoppers know the accurate price up front and can buy it immediately; there is no need for bidding.
- Auction based pricing Model
The Auction Based Pricing Model is pretty straightforward. At the beginning of the auction, you list an opening bid, and then buyers will bid up from the opening price. When the auction comes to an end, the highest bidder wins.
Return Policy on eBayeBay offers five different return policy options for you to choose from:
- No returns accepted.
- 30-day buyer-paid returns.
- 30-day free returns.
- 60-day buyer-paid returns.
- 60-day free returns.
The entire process can look very complicated but it is not so, you can easily become a successful seller on eBay integrating your account with a business automation platform like Eunimart which will help you automate and optimize your product information, listings, control and manage Inventory, optimize the pricing of your products with the advanced pricing calculator, reconcile all payments and fulfill orders by warehousing and shipping at heavily discounted rates with 10 shipping partners. Click here to get started.
If you are interested to sell on Flipkart, you could check out our step by step guide on how to sell on Flipkart.